Office of the Prime Minister and Privy Council building

HQ: Ottawa, Ontario

The Office of the Prime Minister and Privy Council building, formerly known as the Langevin Block , is an office building facing Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. As the home of the Privy Council Office and Office of the Prime Minister, it is the working headquarters of the executive branch of the Canadian government.

(Office of the Prime Minister and Privy Council)

Langevin Block, previously used to refer to the Prime Minister’s Office(PMO) and the Privy Council Office(PCO), was named after Hector-Louis Langevin, a Father of Confederation and cabinet minister. However, due to objections from Indigenous groups regarding Langevin’s role in establishing the residential school system, associated with the abuse and forced assimilation of Indigenous children, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the renaming of the building on June 21, 2017.

Function

The Prime Minister’s Office includes speechwriters, strategists, and communications staff who develop the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s messages and keep the Prime Minister informed of various events occurring in government and across the country. The office also serves as a link between party organizations and the government.

(Senate of Canada)

History

The term Langevin Block was previously used as a metonym for the Office of the Prime Minister and the Office of the Privy Council. The building is named after Hector Louis Langevin, the Father of Confederation and Cabinet Minister. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau comes after Indigenous people objected to the use of Hector Langevin’s name amid allegations of Langevin’s role in setting up a residential school system linked to the abuse of Indigenous children and trying to forcibly assimilate them. It was announced that the building would be renamed.

(Father of Confederation)

Construction began in 1884 and was completed in 1889 as the first federal government office building outside the Capitol Hill precinct. It was built from sandstone obtained from a New Brunswick quarry owned by Charles Elijah Fish. It has a prominent location on Wellington Street in Ottawa, adjacent to the National War Memorial, Chateau Laurier, Government Conference Centre, Rideau Canal, National Arts Centre, the British High Commission in Ottawa and the Sparks Street Mall. Originally named the South West Department Building during construction, from completion until 2017 it was named after Sir Hector-Louis Langevin, Minister for Public Works in the Cabinet of Sir John A. Macdonald.

Leave a Comment